Applicants Apply Externally Yes
The Dental Assistant is a vital member of the office team. The work performed must be of the highest quality and efficiency to ensure patients have successful treatment experiences.
The duties of a dental assistant are among the most comprehensive and varied in the dental office. The dental assistant performs many tasks requiring both interpersonal and technical skills. State regulations vary when it comes to the delivery of treatments.
ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES, DUTIES, TASKS
- Taking and developing dental radiographs (x-rays)
- Assisting the dentist during a variety of treatment procedures
- Asking about the patient’s medical history and taking blood pressure and pulse
- Serving as an infection control officer, developing infection control protocol and preparing and sterilizing instruments and equipment
- Helping patients feel comfortable before, during and after dental treatment
- Providing patients with instructions for oral care following surgery or other dental treatment procedures, such as the placement of a restoration (filling)
- Teaching patients appropriate oral hygiene strategies to maintain oral health; (e.g., tooth brushing, flossing and nutritional counseling)
- Taking impressions of patients’ teeth for study casts (models of teeth)
- Performing office management tasks
- Communicating with patients and suppliers (e.g., scheduling appointments, answering the telephone, billing and ordering supplies)
- Helping to provide direct patient care in all dental specialties, including orthodontics, pediatric dentistry, periodontics and oral surgery
KNOWLEDGE/SKILLS EXPERIENCE/EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS
- Graduate of ADA-accredited dental assisting program
- CPR License (Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation)
- Coursework in dental instruments and procedures
- Compliance with state dental practice requirements (i.e., X-ray requirements, OSHA training)
Working extended hours and weekends often required.
Guardian® is a registered trademark of the Guardian Life Insurance Company of America.
Guardian is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, creed, religion, sex, affectional or sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, marital status, disability, military or veteran status, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
United States-Texas-San Antonio
Clinical FLSA Status Non-Exempt