The mission of the New York State Ophthalmological Society is to associate and affiliate into one organization all reputable Doctors of Medicine and Osteopathy licensed to practice in the State of New York and engaged in the practice of Ophthalmology to:
– Promote the preservation of vision and the prevention of blindness by educating the public concerning the eye, its dysfunction and diseases;
– Promote the effective utilization of the scientific knowledge and medical capabilities of ophthalmology together with those of other related branches of medicine for the benefit of the public;
– Make studies, reports and recommendations on any matter in question involving the socioeconomic interest of ophthalmologists and to present such studies, reports and recommendations together with resolutions and opinions of its members to any person, body or agency, governmental or private, whose action or decisions may affect the interests of physicians or the practice of ophthalmology;
– Collaborate with medical specialty associations and organizations in addressing issues and concerns that affect the overall practice of medicine and ophthalmology;
– Disseminate information concerning the practice of ophthalmology and to inform and educate practitioners of general medicine, other medical specialties, residents, interns and medical students as to the unique scientific and medical capabilities of ophthalmology; and
– Initiate, coordinate and promote meetings of educational and academic interest to ophthalmologists, their staffs, and the general public.